Wednesday, August 13, 2014

August Fishing Tales

August Fishing Tales:  Delmarva 

My son and I fished the Chesapeake Bay near the mouth of the Sassafrass River over the weekend, catching four big white perch in an hour.  These guys would have been great candidates for a southern-style fish fry, but unless you have at least a dozen of them, they are more trouble then they are worth to fillet.   All in all it was a peaceful time.  The weather was hot and muggy so it was refreshing to wade out in the bay in the hopes of hooking a big catfish.

I ended up having to wait until the next night to experience the feeling of a big catfish on the other end of my line.  I was fishing the murky brackish water of the Delaware River....with my trusty fishing pole, the Ugly Stick.  The bright light of the August Supermoon shined eerily over the Power Plant at high tide.  I was starting to reconsider my bait choice (night crawler on a split shot rig), when a chunky channel catfish struck hard, pulling my rod nearly in half.  It ended up weighing in at just over 6 lbs.  So if you are looking for that kind of experience, I highly suggest Augustine Beach, near Port Penn, Delaware.  I've also had plenty of luck with Black Drum, Croaker, Spot, and Perch.

My fish tale ends near Bethany Beach, Delaware, where I enjoyed some weekend surf
fishing.  I got a chance to test out some of the newest members of my spinner lure collection...seen here.  I only caught one bluefish, but I really had a fantastic time relaxing with my family on one of the most beautiful beaches in the nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment