Thursday, February 9, 2017

February 2017- Delaware Fishing Report

February 2017 Delaware Fishing Report


Freshwater

With February temperatures varying most days between 45 and 72 degrees, ponds and lakes are nowhere near frozen.  I got out just long enough to land a White Sucker in White Clay Creek on a Roostertail.  I was fishing at a beautiful spot near a dam and, although the shimmering fish on the end of my line was not a prized Rainbow trout, it fought very well.   The first official fish of 2017 for me.   


Saltwater

No action being reported in the Delaware Bay or Ocean.  I had a chance to go on a relaxing beach hike with my wife and son near Bowers Beach. We didn't see any anglers but did notice a large, dead Rockfish
rotting on the muddy beach.  Sadly, the Delaware News Journal reported that a 100,000 + gallon raw sewage leak occurred recently on the nearby St. Jones river, which contaminated the river.  There is also a 21 day restriction on shellfishing in the Delaware Bay until waters return to pre-spill bacteria levels.  You won't find me fishing St. Jones river any time soon.   As an angler-conservationist, I am appalled at how long it usually takes these officials to realize leaks are occurring.  Usually by the time they take action, the damage is done. How many times must our water resources and natural seafood supply to be damaged by pollution?  

But lest I end on that note, keep in mind that as the daylight increases each day, there will be more and more opportunties to get out there and drop a line. I greatly look forward to doing alot of fishing with my son in the months to come.  Until the fishing action picks up, I will be promoting my critically acclaimed Ebook about Delaware fishing Big Bass in the Small Wonder and also making some nifty, handcrafted fly tying vises like this one Ebay.com/Mark'sFlytyingVise

See you out there real soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment