Thursday, June 20, 2019

Delaware Sport Fishing Report June 2019- Catfish Tournament, Largemouth Bass, Piranha Becks Pond

Delaware Sport Fishing Report June 2019


Freshwater

A canoe trip I had planned down the Brandywine was cancelled due to high water.
The torrential rainstorms have put a damper on some outdoor opportunities in June. I
was planning on bringing my telescopic rod for some casual smallmouth bass fishing.
I find that crayfish and hellgrammites tend to work best for me, in addition to spinners.

No telling what you might catch this time of year. There were reports this week 
of catfish biting well, be it bullheads, channel or blue catfish.   Largemouth bass 
fishing has been great in Delaware's many ponds.  

In bizarre news this week, several media outlets are reporting that a decent sized 
Red-bellied Piranha was caught in Becks Pond by a man named James Strab.  Wasn't 
that long ago that I did some float fishing there in a blow up boat and, man, it didn't 
even cross my mind that there could be Piranha swimming beneath me.  Reminds me 
of when there were reports of a Caiman in Trussum Pond several years back.

Check out the many other bass fishing ponds in this handy Delaware guidebook 
Big Bass in the Small Wonder


Saltwater

I fished the Chesapeake Bay recently catching mainly catfish, but the tidal rivers 
and bay are giving up plenty of perch.  Further down south toward Cape Henlopen, 
there are reports of Seatrout, Spot, Northern Kingfish and Bluefish being caught in 
the Delaware beach areas.

Not a bad way to spend a day with the family, especially if you have a Delaware 
surf tag.  They can be purchased here:  

https://www.destateparks.com/Know/PassesTagsFees .

Until next time...tight lines






No comments:

Post a Comment