Friday, November 2, 2018

November 2018 Delaware Fishing Report (Appoquinimink River; Sassafras River; Northern Snakehead, Indian River Inlet, Big Bass in the Small Wonder)

November 2018 Fishing Report Delaware

October ended with a Noreaster and then some very mild weather in Delaware.  On November 1st, Delaware temperatures were higher than 75 degrees throughout the day. Needless to say, I hit the water with hook and line in hand.

Freshwater Report:

Not Delaware, but in nearby Maryland, I fished the Sassafras River with much luck.  Catfish were biting one after the other.  I had at least 2 catfish break my line.  They were huge and would probably not have fit into my hand net. I caught a nice big catfish after about an hour on ultra light tackle.  Took it home and enjoyed it Cajun Style.   In other freshwater news, largemouth bass and panfish were biting in Appoquinimink River. I harvested a large bluegill.  The Bass are hungry right now and feed on these blue gills also.  If you are looking to check out some new bass fishing spots, I'd encourage you to read the critically acclaimed ebook Big Bass in the Small Wonder today on kindle for only 0.99 cents.  If it is trout you seek, White Clay Creek was stocked recently and one angler I talked to recommended giving it a try.  The fishing pressure should be nothing like it was during the Spring stock. 

Saltwater Report:

Anglers fishing the Indian River Inlet report tog, rockfish and blues are available.  I know that sharks, skates, blues and kingfish are biting down in the surf so I may take a trip down to the beach to soak some squid or maybe clams.  Must get my fishing in before it gets too cold.


Invasive Fish:

A word about one of Delaware's most recently invasive predatory fishes, Northern Snakehead.  I have observed snakehead swimming in the Brandywine and I know of other guys who have caught them in mid-Delaware ponds.  They are here for sure.  While I lament the introduction of a new fish that might outcompete native gamefish like the Largemouth Bass and Chain Pickerel, I am intrigued by this fish and I admit I would really like to catch my first snakehead. I hear they are excellent eating and a good fighting fish.  

And now I ask you: Have you caught a Northern Snakehead fish in Delaware? Be sure to comment below if you'd care to share your Snakehead fishing tips, techniques or recipes.  They are clearly an invasive species, so the more people fishing for them the more we can remove from the ecosystem.  Tight lines everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment